10.01.2005

Coat in a Boat




For years I went wearing
a coat that I borrowed
and would not return it
for fear of exposing
that no one could see me,
made out like a bandit,
disguised and intriguing,
I lay where I landed,

but, now and again
I would listen for something,
a fin in the wake of a boat
I remembered,
and sank like a shadow
whenever it neared me,
clear and distinctive,
like a name I was given,

sewn into the collar,
hemmed into the lining,
and time was deceiving,
the coat growing thinner,
I entered the mainstream
without ever knowing
there were rats in the galley
and no one was rowing,
there were rats in the galley
and no one was rowing.

For years I belonged
to that moth-eaten stranger,
my hair full of tangles
and no comb to pull
through the fury that gnawed
at the crumbs I let fall
from the cake I was eating
and kept on repeating
there’s a vessel afloat underneath all that coat!
there’s a vessel afloat underneath all that coat!